Why are most filipinos going after the nursing profession?

August 9, 2008
It's been going around for a few years now, maybe even decades. Most Filipino families are sending their children into nursing school. Why is that? Here's a little background story. The nursing profession has been a demand in western countries that it opens a lot of opportunities for the Filipino people. With the high conversion of US dollar in Philippine money, even middle-aged professionals are shifting professions and are taking up the nursing course. Some would say its practicality, and I can't put myself to blame them. With the increasing product prices, it drives people to go for good earning jobs. And good earning jobs here in the Philippines are very limited to company executives and other ranking post. While being a nurse in other countries like the US, It makes people financially ahead than others. Although it gives quite an opportunity to elevate the family status, it would require an individual to sacrifice his/her own interest with regards to course choices. And doing a job you don't like compromises the quality of service.

I am a student nurse. And I can't blame my family in wanting me to take this profession even though I do not fully appreciate it.

0 comments: